End of the School Year and Puente Club

It sure feels good to be out of school! and guess who got an "A" in anatomy? uhu, that's right THIS GIRL! Lol, I have never studied so hard before, so yes I am going to brag! I don't just get good grades like the Kifle's.
Anyway, this was a good year I have to say! My goals for my future are more fine tuned. I reminded myself of why I wanted to go into nursing, and other stuff which would make this post super long if I kept blabbing about it. Let's just say I am excited for my future and feel blessed to be able to somewhat make what I want out of myself.

I was also the Puente club president this year, and it was quite an experience! I felt like a failure the first semester, but now I don't. We got some valuable things done, and we even raised enough money for a trip down to Southern California to see the Colleges down there (although Bro.Kifle said he would stop talking to me if I moved over there lol). My main concern about being president was that I wouldn't do anything and that we would just be another club who did NOTHING. I feel good about my contribution though, but a quick shout out to Alex for helping me out this whole year. I also noticed I have this thing about people not being humble about their positions and being power hungry...but I will save that for another post...haha.
Here is the year in pictures!... Or this past semester at least, because I didn't take pictures of the fundraisers we did Fall semester



These are most of the club members!

Cesar E. Chavez Celebration!

We had a table at a Cesar E. Chavez celebration, children were able to make bookmarks and were given an opportunity to win children's Cesar E. Chavez books!


Cinco de Mayo fundraiser We sold "aguas" at a cinco de Mayo celebration to raise funds for our Southern California trip!


"Raza Day" at Stanford hosted by MECha de Stanford
Raza day was a conference for Hispanic students. They had workshops and even had a comedian as their keynote speaker.
RISE conference at UC Berkeley

This conference was directed towards AB540 students, if you don't know what that is...google it!Japan Fundraiser!
After the disaster hit in Japan I thought having a mini fundraiser would be a great idea. We raised about 300 dollars, it wasn't much money but at least we did more than some of the other students! ;)

"Motivating future professionals"
I honestly don't even remember what we named this event...lol. Basically I had a former AB540 student, along with two other individuals come speak to the three Hispanic clubs at school. The active dreamers (another club) and Puente bought pizza for everybody. Each of these individuals below, had interesting stories. They were all inspiring. I have to admit this wasn't as well planned out as I would have wanted it to be, but it's okay it will be better next year!
ESL tutoring
This the activity I am the most proud of starting! We currently tutor ESL students every Thursday. These ladies are SO cute!This is Xiumyn and I. I am helping her review for her citizenship test that she will be taking June 6th! So after I took these pictures she asked me to print them out, so I did. When she had this picture (above) in her hand, she pointed to me, looked up and said "Beautiful"... AWE!
Next year I won't be president but I will be Vp, I just feel I need to give more of my time to organizing things IN church, aaaaaaand I will be doubling up on my science. So yeah. I really noticed the need for the youth today to look outside of themselves. It was hard to get people to commit at times. Giving back to your community, or any event that helps "make the world a little better" is very rewarding. You don't even have to spend all your time doing community service, two hours of your week can make a huge difference. That's why I pray to God that he opens my eyes and expands my vision so I can look away from my daily life onto the bigger picture. I want God to use me in whatever way he wants! You may think you are just one individual, but one individual can do a lot. Good or bad.

1 comment

  1. SEE I told you you could do it!!! A is for Anali! And Bro. Kifle isn't the only one who will stop talking to you if you go to socal. Just so you know:P Last paragraph could be a excerpt for a motivational speech that leaves you both inspired and convicted :0)

    ReplyDelete

What-do-ya think?