Push Yourself

Yesterday I got the opportunity to be the keynote speaker at a graduation of a program that I was in in high school. When I was asked to be the speaker I immediately said yes, but then as the time of the graduation got closer my nerves started to get the best of me. Every time I would practice the speech and/or think about it my heart would start racing. I am no stranger to public speaking, the picture above is an old picture from 2010 (I was smiling because I had to put the microphone down to my size since hector is 6'1 and had spoken before me), but all the public speaking I've done has been either informal or very short.

This was the first time I was going to be the KEYNOTE SPEAKER. I mean, that's huuuuuuuge in my book. Honestly, I took the opportunity because I knew it would look amazing on my resume and I appreciated the program. Plus, being able to speak in front of people is a good skill to have in life and especially in the workforce.

When I arrived at the graduation I was told I would be sitting at the head table with all the important people, the president of the hospital, the director of the program as well as the coordinator, and the president of the ROP. I have to admit I was thrown off by the fact I got to sit with them, because who am I? but they were so friendly and I am glad they got to know ME (networking!). When my name was called I went up those steps with my heart almost jumping out of chest, and gave my little speech. It was a success! When I got back down to my table I received all sorts of compliments. Which is why I am blogging about this. You know, it is SO important to push yourself because if you don't you miss all sorts of opportunities. The doctor who is in charge of this program even asked for a copy of my speech and my contact information so he could put me in a newsletter.

Moral of the story, push yourself to get out of your comfort zone. You never know what opportunities you may get if you do so. Make yourself memorable (in a good way PLEASE lol), and experience different things. Some of those experiences may be unpleasant but at times we learn what we like to do, by doing what we DON'T like to do.
They also gave me some pretty flowers :)

5 comments

  1. I am soooo proud of you! Really, you are amazing! Atta girl! High five!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Awwwww AWESOME!!! OMW!!! you didn't even tell me about this when we talked last night!!!!! ANALI!!!!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Carisa, you always make me feel so good about myself ;) lol

    Mary,we had other things to discuss! LOL

    ReplyDelete

What-do-ya think?