Planning Ahead?

When I was 17/18 I decided that I was going to be a nurse, and I went around telling people my "plan". My "plan" was that I was going to be a nurse, and my husband was going to be a preacher. We would live in a underdeveloped country and I would witness to my patients - which would end up being the individuals that made up our congregation. Yup, that was my plan, I even told my pastor. lol - of course I was just kidding. Even thought that would still be nice if it happened. haha

When I was 19/20, during my second year of college, the idea of graduate school came to mind. I decided that I would go to a "good school" for graduate school if I ended up going. I would aim at UC Berkeley to get my Master's degree in public health with an emphasis in nutrition, or maybe UCSF to get my Master's degree in nursing in some specialty.

In high school and in college, I spent time a volunteering, and networking. I made sure that I was known throughout my community and in at least one hospital. I knew it could all work at my advantage when I graduated school, they could maybe get me a job! (of course I didn't just visit people to network, I just like keeping in touch with people. If you know me well enough you would know I just enjoy people in general.

One of the reasons I chose nursing was because it is flexible. I could work in so many different areas, travel if I needed to, and earn enough if my future husband couldn't work (i.e. if I ended up marrying somebody who would become a full time pastor ect. Not to support a bum of a husband lol ). This career allowed me to give God room to put me wherever He wanted me.

This was important to me because early on in college I noticed that some young Apostolic's get so caught up in their career and in planning their future, that they don't give God  "wiggle room". They just straight up plan their future and don't give God the room to change or adjust those plans.  I thought I was giving God that "wiggle room".

Then here I am on my ___ year of college, 2 more years to go, and it struck me - I don't know where God wants me and I was unconsciously planning my future step by step. Although I chose nursing for all the right reasons, I was planning life after nursing school and preparing for it. Whether it was Graduate school, big trip, or just getting a job. It's like "Hellow Anali! Look what you were doing. What happened to giving God room? You were preparing for something you don't even know if it is going to happen". Yes I talk to myself.

That doesn't mean I would take back all the events I participated in and all the people that I met, but it was just a wake up call of what life can do to an individual. It can just wrap you up like a burrito without you even noticing.

Sometimes we just need a breather to make sure God is still #1 on our list. After all, why shouldn't He be #1?
  
"And we know that all things work together for good to them that love God, to them who are the called according to his purpose." Romans 8:28

I especially like this part of this verse - "to them who are called according to his purpose"

His purpose.
Yes folks, his purpose, not ours.

Our purpose in life is to fulfill His purpose - to make try to achieve our full potential. The biggest obstacle in this?

The individual you see in the mirror everyday.

"Ay que fea"  lol jk.




By the way, please take some time and vote on the poll on the right of this blog. Thanks.

5 comments

  1. *sigh*
    I, too, am guilty of planning my life. Annnnnddd along the way, my grand plans began to fall apart. People in the world don't like my answer to the question "So, what are you going to use your degree for? What's next for you?" Me: No Clue!! I am learning to leave Jesus wide amounts of room to do a work in me. Because I have hopes and dreams but I have NO CLUE if it all will truly come to pass (although they sound sooo good in my head!).

    So yeah, I have no other choice but to buckle up and hold on tight for whatever road He takes me on. I hear they're usually better than anything I could ever come up with!

    "For I know the thoughts that I think toward you, saith the LORD, thoughts of peace, and not of evil, to give you an expected end." Jeremiah 29:11

    ReplyDelete
  2. It's Lovely how God takes care of us huh ? And people in the world who are getting an education will never understand our views and priorities.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hey! Are you mostly an often online user or you are for live communication?

    ReplyDelete

What-do-ya think?