God Uses Broken Vessels

I remember at Pacific Coast Camp I think two years back, Elder. Frazier preached an amazing message titled "So you want to be in the ministry?" (If I am not mistaken that was the title).
In his message he spoke about how some people think the ministry is all fun and games, when in reality it isn't.  He gave several examples of when the ministry is not glamerous. One of those examples included a time where his daughter, Jessica Frazier, was in tears about the work she was doing in Brazil, and he told her "God uses a broken vessel".

That day I made the prayer many of us (I would hope) make at some point.
"God make me into a broken vessel so you could use me". It wasn't some whispered prayer, it was a heart felt-tear filled, prayer. A serious prayer that I am assuming many of us campers made that day. 

After camp my life continued, school, work, church. And although I'll never forget that message, that day was moved to the back of my mind.
Then a couple of months back a situation happened (nothing worth backsliding about, don't worry, lol, I'll blog about it some day) where I found myself, on my knees, praying for an answer. Fighting against myself... I don't know how to exactly describe it unless I go into details, but basically, it was a difficult internal situation where all I could do was pray. I had to pray until I reached the point where I no longer was fighting my will and was given over to God's will and desires.

One of those nights when I was praying, I remembered that prayer I made a couple of years back.

"God make me into a broken vessel so you could use me"
Then it's like something clicked. I made that prayer but didn't really think that it would hurt so much. I didn't think it would be so uncomfortable. 

I can gladly say that the situation/experience turned into one of the most humbling, learning experiences. I would go through it all over again.

According to Miriam-Webster dictionary, the definition of broken is:
1. Violently separated into parts :
2. Damaged or altered by breaking
Wow that first definition is something isn't it? - "Violently separated into parts"
It already sounds like it hurts! 
If we are willing to be used of God, I mean, really used of God,  it aint gonna be pretty! He is going to break every bit of humanity in us, every bit of our own will and desires, move things around at His liking and let us heal together. 

You know, we go through all sorts of things in life, internal struggles, external struggles, and sometimes we forget that there is purpose behind it. What doesn't kill you really does make you stronger...really it does. 

So when you feel the crack in your bones, and the boiling in your veins, just remember God uses a broken vessel... a broken vessel.



"The sacrifices of God are a broken spirit: a broken and contrite heart, O God, though wilt not despise"
Psalms 51:17

7 comments

  1. Preach, sister!

    Excellent post, Anali.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Good post, Anali.
    I think often about that message Bro. Frazier preached. It changed my life. I have it on my iPod and listen to it still...and I can't stop the tears from falling. I will never forget that message!
    Thank God for preaching like that.

    ~Bethany~

    ReplyDelete
  3. Great post, Anali, and so true. Thanks for sharing.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I will never forget that message and I often think back to that Friday morning of camp. God touched my life deeply and for that I am so thankful. Thanks for sharing!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Ah, the comfort in the suffering is that it's not without purpose---God is forming into vessels of honor for His glory. The ministry is truly a paradox; one of unimaginable suffering, yet of great spiritual satisfaction and, of course, eternal gain.

    http://thekiflechronicles.blogspot.com/2012/11/struck.html

    ReplyDelete

What-do-ya think?