Not So Groovy After All

This post is about hippies. Not just any hippies though. It is about so called Apostolic hippies.
You must be thinking "huh?".

A trend that has somehow made its way into the Apostolic youth is the hippie look.

Ya know, the messy frizzy hair with the headband across the forehead, the colorful clothing and funky looking backpacks and bags?

 Don't get me wrong, I have nothing against those headbands, I actually think they are cute,
 and  I myself use "funky bags" , AKA Mexican morrales. I also like color, I have several yellow tights and a yellow wall.

But when you start going into save-the-animals-and-trees-mode, and go meditate in the woods, then we have a problem.

First of all, do people even remember what hippies were known for?

Let me refresh your mind. According to dictionary.com the definition of a hippie is:

"a person, especially of the late 1960s, who rejected established institutions and values and sought spontaneity, direct personal relations expressing love, and expanded consciousness, often expressed externally in the wearing of casual, folksy clothing and of beads, headbands, used garments, etc."
So basically these people were rebels, who "expanded consciousness" by using drugs. And let's not get into the details on how they "expressed their love"....AHEM.
I put in bold the phrase often expressed externally, because this has a lot to do with why the whole hippie thing bugs me. It is nothing new to hear that what you are inside is reflected on the outside. So if somebody is dressing up like a hippie, and acting like one on purpose, doesn't that mean you are opening yourself up for that spirit? 
Not only that, but we have to keep in mind on who we are trying to follow. The trends of the world, or the church? 
It is hard enough for us youth to stay away from Hollywood, why must the spirits of the past be brought up again?
Aren't we called to be separate? To look apart?

Let me make myself clear, there is nothing wrong with dressing colorful or whatnot. There is something wrong when you are purposely tyring to look like something or someone who is ungodly. 
Do you want to look like this guy?
 

I sure hope I am not the only one that does NOT want to! lol

 
  

16 comments

  1. I'm old enough to remember a revival of hippies in Fresno in the late 60s/early 70s. When they got saved, they gave up that look along with the rest of their ungodly lifestyle.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I saw a couple of "hippies" in fresno at WCC that need to give up that look too... Lol

      Delete
  2. AMEN, AMEN! Thank you for writing about and addressing this topic!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Ah, my lovely kindred. If the rest of the Apostolic youth dislikes me for my blog posts, you my dear, will be by my side... lol

    :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Yes, YES! If people would like to see the end-product of the hippie era, please ship them to Berkeley.

    That lifestyle is too be fled from. As well as the paraphernalia pertaining to it.

    Thank you for posting this; if anyone is offended by this, well, they may need prayer for GOD to "expand their consciousness"...lol.

    ReplyDelete
  5. LOL I like the last sentence in your comment :)

    ReplyDelete
  6. Whenever I am "mesmerized" by a worldly trend I think, "We are in the world but not of the world" ... so why would I want to look like everyone else?

    Its a beautiful thing to be separate and stand out. I happen to like a neat, put together Apostolic look. I want to be a reflection of the church.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Happy Birthday Anali!!!:)

    ReplyDelete
  8. Hey! :) I'm Marissa and I randomly found your blog and then recognized your name from Mary Frances' blog! :) I definitely agree with the hippie stuff! But I do like the the bright colors and funky patterns! ;)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Marissa! I see that you are from Oaklahoma? at lest that is what your profile says.
      and I am glad that you also agree with thee blog post!
      Thanks for commenting.

      Delete
  9. Happy Birthday! Hope your day has been great and this is your best year ever!!

    ReplyDelete

What-do-ya think?