Apostolics Always Do Things Right! Or Do They?

I want to say right off  the bat that this post may offend some people, but this is something I feel strongly about so here it comes world.. The good thing of not having a "name" (If you know what I mean) is that I have nothing to lose.


As most of you know, I recently attended a wedding, and the first thing I said when I got the program in my hands was "Now this is how Apostolics should be taking engagement pictures!"

Let me show ya what I'm talking about .


Aren't they cute? Don't they look Apostolic? I think so! 
I was recently talking to woman of God that I highly respect, and I told her my observation about Nancy and Sean's engagement pictures. She told me that she had gone to a wedding where the engagement pictures were so ... borderline I should say, that a mother in front of her had to cover her little boy's eyes! 

Ouch.

Ain't that a shame.

We are known for living differently- the way we dress, talk, act, but what about the way we date?

I personally didn't think that the way we dated also served as an identification  to our beliefs, but I was wrong.

Let me tell you three real and very recent examples:

Example 1: A young man was asked if he was married by one of his co-workers, he answered no and told him that he was talking and getting to know a young lady from another state and went into a few details about the way he dated. His co-worker asked him if he as Pentecostal, and when he said yes he said, "I thought so, you Pentecostals always do things right"

Example 2: A young lady was studying with a classmate, and in a conversation about dating/guys etc, this Apostolic young woman told her classmates that she wasn't planning on kissing her husband until the day of the wedding. Her classmate was in awe, and replied wide-eyed, "That's...so...cool!"

Example 3: A dad of a young woman who is not in church asked his wife how his daughters relationship was going with the Apostolic young man that she was getting to know, the mother informed her husband that they were taking things slow and getting to know each other. The husband just nodded and said "I'm not worried, I know you guys are careful and do things right."


I write this post in a time where some Apostolic/Pentecostal churches are becoming more and more like the world. Not just in dress,TV, and music. But even in courtship.

So I ask you  young woman, young man. What does your dating life say about your relationship with God? About the way you live? Are you blending in, or standing apart? 

My last question is at one point in our lives is it okay to not be different than the world?

22 comments

  1. Ooooo PREEEEEEEEEACH SISTA!!! Weeeeellll I liked it...LOL!!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. AMENNNNNN Kindred, Amen! Apostolics shouldn't look like they're already married in their engagement pics, if you know what I mean. Thank you for posting this!

    ReplyDelete
  3. LOVE it. That's the truth right there.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Love this post! So so true!!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Amen Anali! Great post!! Totally agree! :)

    BTW: LOVE the picture on the bottom of the page...so precious!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Isn't the picture awesomely cool? ;)

      Delete
  6. Great post love! I recently received some engagement pictures and... was uncomfortable! I am so glad you posted this!

    ReplyDelete
  7. I received engagement photos from a close friend I went to high school with. He and his finance are NOT in church. Their pictures were more conservative and tasteful than the ones Courtney mentioned in the comment above! SAD when worldly engagement photos have more taste and class than Apostolic ones.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That's so sad... Respect and modestly can be seen by anyone, anywhere.

      Delete
  8. Excellent post! Some pictures do make you wonder about what has gone on during the engagement period - you're not married yet, don't act like you are!

    And here's something else - why are so many getting married outside of churches? I know outdoor weddings are beautiful, they make wonderful pictures. But marriage is holy and standing in the sanctuary where you have prayed and worshiped, with the man of God praying for you is priceless. Just wondering...

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Agreed! I always enjoy reading your comments to these posts I make :)

      About the whole park wedding thing, thank you for mentioning that. I think sometimes when it comes to wedding it's hard for Apostolics NOT to go into tradition or the way the world does it. It is often seen as a "party" not a sacred reunion.

      Delete
  9. Great post, Anali! I agree 100%. I thank God too, for my husband who told me upfront that our first kiss on the lips would be on our wedding day.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Awesome post Anali! You are right on!
    And Your right...some are not going to like this, but they need to check their spirit. (HG Spirit)

    As my Mother in law always says..."Don't let your good be evil spoken of." We need to be careful how things can be perceived.

    Have a great weekend!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. haha agreed about your first point made!

      and thank you Sis Kendrick!

      Delete
  11. Great post!! I agree 1000%!
    Ive seen engagement pictures as well that make you wonder...all cuddled up like they are already married! I don't get it...
    Looking at the comments above, its good to know that many others think that is unacceptable.
    I also agree with sis. Kathy...nothing can take the place of having your wedding ceremony in the same church you have prayed, cried, and worshipped in. That is so so special and meaningful.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks! and isn't it great when you see people around you who think the same?

      Delete
  12. I always love what you have to say about couples/ dating and such things..i've just satrted talking to a young man in our church and so appreciate all of the helpful hints and dating imput...

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Val! Thanks for commenting. It motivates me to keep writing on this issue even though it's a little tricky at times since I am not married quite yet. But I'm glad they have helped!

      Delete

What-do-ya think?