Unnoticed Good Deeds

What would you do if strangers never said thank you when you opened the door for them?
What if there wasn't a wince of appreciation in an individual whom you were giving a gift to?

Would you still continue doing these things out of the goodness of your heart? or would you stop?

Good deeds go unnoticed. It's a fact. It is impossible for every good deed to be noticed. But what would happen if every good deed that we did within the church was unnoticed?


Would we continue doing them with all our heart and strength? or would we stop?

As humans there is this sort of  "want" to be praised; it's almost a human need.

 I'll be first to admit that it feels good when I've put my efforts into something and I get acknowledged for my work. I'll also be first to admit that there have been times I've been hurt because something I did got overlooked; or even "worse"- someone else got the credit for it.


Which leads me to ask the following questions:
  •  What is the real motive behind our good works?
  • Are we doing something out of love for God, or for appraisal?
  • Would we continue doing good if nobody noticed?
Regardless of  our answers, the bible tells us this about good deeds and well doing.....

"And let us not be weary in well doing: for in due season we shall reap, if we faint not."
- Galatians 6:9 

In due season we shall reap! and God, knowing our humanity finishes up the scripture by saying if we faint not. He knows that our flesh cries out for acknowledgement. He knows that man likes to be exalted, and he knows the flesh doesn't like it when it isn't.

It is also clearly stated in the bible that God doesn't like it when we do things for others to see.

"Take heed that ye do not your alms before men, to be seen of them: otherwise ye have no reward of your Father which is in heaven." Matthew 6:1.

In fact, the bible even tells us that when doing good works (I'm interpreting 'alms' as this) to not let your left hand know what your right hand does (Matthew 6:3). Of course this isn't to be taken literally, but it's representative of the humbleness and state of mind/heart that we should be in when doing good works.

Then again in Matthew 6:4, God let's us know that our works are not in vain and that he sees all.
"That thine alms may be in secret: and thy Father which seeth in secret himself shall reward thee openly".


We serve a rewarding God; a God who not only knows our humanity but understands it. He is so good to us that he left His word to speak to us and to help us overcome our humanity!



"For God is not unrighteous to forget your work and labour of love, which ye have shewed towards his name, in that ye have ministered to the saints, and do minister"  Hebrews 6:10




 

2 comments

  1. This was such a good post, Anali! This reminded me of a passage in the Bible, so I looked it up. Jesus was teaching, and He said this:

    Luk 17:7 But which of you, having a servant plowing or feeding cattle, will say unto him by and by, when he is come from the field, Go and sit down to meat?
    Luk 17:8 And will not rather say unto him, Make ready wherewith I may sup, and gird thyself, and serve me, till I have eaten and drunken; and afterward thou shalt eat and drink?
    Luk 17:9 Doth he thank that servant because he did the things that were commanded him? I trow not.
    Luk 17:10 So likewise ye, when ye shall have done all those things which are commanded you, say, We are unprofitable servants: we have done that which was our duty to do.

    After I have done something good, or something that me, in my humanity, may think is worthy of praise, I want to remember that Jesus gave His all, and so should I; I already owe Him my whole life, and good deeds, obedience, and serving Him are something we should already be doing as a servant of the King.

    Love you!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Anali, the episode of holding a door open for someone and not getting any acknowledgment happened to me yesterday evening! It could happen anywhere but I was in an expensive part of the city and many of the people there don't feel the need to say "thank you".

    I also held the door open for a coworker earlier that day [my, it sounds like I'm just broadcasting my good deeds on here.... LOL] and she thanked me.

    Anyway, your post brings a great perspective. I find there is great importance in examining your motives, even if you feel they are good. If you get to the root of your deeds, one might discover they are really only done for the recognition of man.

    Goooood post.

    ReplyDelete

What-do-ya think?